25.02.2014

Warning signs "should not be ignored"

Warning signs "should not be ignored"

Wearers of daily disposable contact lenses - such as 1 Day Acuvue - should ensure they take them out before they go to bed, an article has advised.

Leaving contact lenses in too long is a cause of eye infection and a potential corneal ulcer, according to the International News website.

"Most corneal ulcers are caused by bacterial, fungal or viral infections," it says.

"Those caused by bacteria are common in people who wear contact lenses, especially if they"re worn overnight."

Daily disposable lenses are the safest way to use contact lenses as long as they are touched with clean hands and the manufacturer"s advice is followed.

A corneal ulcer is caused when an infection creates a small tear in the eyeball, allowing bacteria or fungal infection in.

Eye pain, weepy eyes, blurry vision, redness and other discomfort could all be signs that the eye has become infected and a visit to the doctor is vital, the article concludes.

by Alexa Kaczka


« Back to list