Parents have been advised to keep their children away from washing detergent capsules following a rise in chemical eye injuries at a London hospital, contact lens wearers have learned.
According to the doctors from Western Eye Hospital, writing in a paper published in the British Medical Journal online, young children are attracted to the colourful and malleable aspects of the capsules.
Melanie Corbett, consultant ophthalmologist at the Western Eye Hospital, said: "Parents must keep liquid detergent capsules out of children"s reach - their contents can cause irreversible damage to the eye."
She advised parents that if a chemical enters their child"s eye, they "should wash it out immediately, with large quantities of water".
In other recent eye health news, the Royal National Institute of Blind People said that it was "outraged" by a new genetic home-testing kit that checks for the risk of age-related macular degeneration, which were recently introduced to the UK.
by Alexa Kaczka