By Alexa Kaczka
A woman has highlighted the dangers of not having contact lenses fitted by a professional or purchasing them from a reputable supplier.
Laura Butler of Parkersburg, West Virginia, revealed how she purchased decorative lenses from a souvenir shop while on holiday and was unaware of the dangers involved in buying the lenses over-the-counter or of the harm that could result from improper wear.
After wearing the contacts for a total of ten hours, she experienced extreme pain in both eyes and, because they had not been properly fitted by an eyecare professional, the lenses stuck to her eye "like a suction cup".
"I was in severe pain and on medication for four weeks. I now live with a corneal scar, vision damage and a drooping eye lid. I want to share my story in the hopes that others will not have to live through this nightmare," she warned.
It comes after the AAO, the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and the Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists advised consumers to carefully research any organisations selling decorative contact lenses online to make sure the products they vend are official.
by Adrian Galbreth