For many years, people have been benefitting from improved vision thanks to daily disposable contact lenses, which offer users a great means of improved vision each and every day.
As with every type of contact lens, the best way to guarantee maximum effectiveness is to follow manufacturer"s instructions, as this not only ensures people are benefiting from improved vision, but also optimum safety.
However, one person who recently failed to heed such advice is Norwich woman Katie Richardson, 24, who made the mistake of sleeping in her contact lenses despite the pamphlet provided with her contacts advising her not to do so.
As a result, the normally-safe lenses caused her to develop an infection which soon worsened and threatened to compromise her eyesight permanently.
She explained that, when she woke up, she initially thought she had developed conjunctivitis because she was unable to open her eye, but soon realised that the condition was worse.
After being referred to the eye hospital at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, she was assessed by experts.
"The eye specialist at the hospital diagnosed me with microbial keratitis, an infection of the cornea, the front part of the eye where lenses sit, which meant I had a fungus in my eye," she told the Norwich Evening News.
Miss Richardson was prescribed steroid eye drops and wore a patch while she recovered and admitted that she is lucky to have made a full recovery, considering how serious the consequences could have been.
She told the newspaper: "Since the infection I have never kept my lenses in overnight. I had become complacent so it was my own fault and it served me right."
Parwez Hossain, a senior lecturer in ophthalmology at the University of Southampton eye unit, added that people who wear contact lenses will be perfectly safe as long as they take the time to dispose of them, in the case of dailies, or otherwise clean and store them properly.
by Alexa Kaczka