By Alexa Kaczka
People have been advised to be on the look-out for counterfeit vodka that can cause severe sight problems if consumed, after one student almost lost her vision.
The BBC's Inside Out programme revealed how last year Sheffield University student Lauren Platts bought a cheap bottle of what she thought was vodka, but turned out to be a counterfeit product.
Even though she bought it from an off-licence and therefore presumed it was real, after consuming around a third of the bottle she was bedridden for the next two days and suffered severe vision damage.
"I now know that what I was drinking was industrial alcohol not fit for human consumption. Obviously the people who produce this don't care what it does. It's really scary. I think I might have [eye problems] for good, but I'm just grateful to be alive or not completely blind," Ms Platts explained.
Vikas Sodiwala, a consultant at Lincoln County Hospital, said that many patients were turning up at casualty departments complaining of similar symptoms to Miss Platts - mainly blurred vision, dizziness and nausea, and advised everybody to be vigilant when buying cheap alcohol.
by Alexa Kaczka