What are Titanium Frames?
Titanium eyeglass frames are not something you see every day! They are an exciting alternative to the same standard materials used in the eyewear industry. But what are they exactly?
Titanium frames, as the name suggests, are eyewear frames made of titanium, a highly durable, hypoallergenic and corrosion-resistant metal. They've attracted a lot of attention because of their amazing qualities and have really become quite popular among users. Let's take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of titanium frames and explore why your face shape matters when it comes to choosing these frames.
Advantages of Titanium Frames
1. Lightweight: Despite being really strong, titanium is surprisingly light, making titanium frames significantly more comfortable for you to wear every day. Their lightweight nature helps reduce the pressure on your nose and ears, a great advantage especially if you are wearing glasses for long periods of time.
2. Durability: Titanium frames will give you outstanding durability. This metal is known for its strength and can withstand falls, bends and daily wear-and-tear better than almost any other material used currently, reducing the need for frequent or regular replacements.
3. Corrosion Resistant: Unlike many metals, titanium doesn't rust or corrode when exposed to water, sweat or skin oils. This makes it the perfect material for frames and a great choice if you are either quite active or live in a humid country.
4. Hypoallergenic: Titanium is a hypoallergenic metal, meaning it's extremely unlikely to cause you any allergic reactions. This feature is ideal if you have skin sensitivities, as you can wear these frames without worrying about any skin irritation.
5. Versatility: Titanium frames are available in a variety of styles and colours due to advanced colouring techniques (anodising). So, if you prefer a vibrant or a more traditional look, there's a titanium frame to suit your taste.
Disadvantages of Titanium Frames
Despite having loads of advantages, titanium frames do have some downsides. First, they can be more expensive than frames made from plastic or metal. This is understandable as the material and production cost of titanium certainly increases the overall price.
Second, while titanium is very strong, it can be less flexible than some other materials, such as certain types of plastic. This can make titanium frames more prone to breaking if subjected to extreme stress or bent too far.
Does Your Face Shape Matter?
Face shape does matter when choosing any eyeglass frames, including titanium ones. Basically, the goal is to choose a frame that contrasts with your face shape and balances out its proportions. For example, if you have a round face might want to opt for square or rectangular frames to add some angles to your soft facial curves. If you have a square face might find round or oval frames more flattering. A proper fit is also essential, not only for aesthetic purposes but also for comfort and proper vision correction.
Are titanium frames fashionable at the moment?
Titanium frames have indeed been quite popular as of late. They've been valued for everything we touched upon above, their sleek, modern appeal, durability, and lightweight comfort. Their popularity ranges from standard prescription glasses to designer eyewear.
What has also led to this rise in popularity is the constant expansion of new designs coming out, whether you're going for a minimalist, modern or even vintage-inspired look, there's a good chance you'll find titanium frames that hit the mark.
However, fashion trends can shift rapidly and the popularity of specific frame materials can vary with time and location. Ultimately, the best frames are the ones that you find most comfortable, and attractive and suit your lifestyle the best.
In summary, titanium eyeglass frames offer many advantages such as being lightweight, durable, corrosion-resistant, hypoallergenic and versatile. However, they may come at a higher cost and can be less flexible than other materials. Face shape is a vital factor to consider when choosing any glasses, including titanium ones, to ensure you not only look great but feel comfortable too. They are also very much in fashion at the moment, trending quite strongly on a global basis. Despite the few cons, the benefits of titanium frames make them a worthy investment for your eyewear collection.
Author: John Dreyer Optometrist Bsc(Hons), MCOPTOM, DipCLP
Created: 27 Jul 2023, Last modified: 21 Sep 2023